Total Communication is an approach which enables individuals with speech, language and communication needs to utilize a range of communication methods, in order to get their message across and understand
Total Communication is an approach which enables individuals with speech, language and communication needs to utilize a range of communication methods, in order to get their message across and understand the message of other people effectively. Total Communication makes use of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), such as signs, pictures, symbols and specialist devices.
This workshop is designed for individuals undertaking Initial Teacher Training, NQTs and mainstream teachers and support staff wishing to support the communication of pupils with speech, language and communication needs in mainstream settings.
Following the workshop, you will have knowledge of:
- What is Total Communication
- The basic principles and strategies of Total Communication
- The different types of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) used in a Total Communication approach
- Awareness of which communication methods may be most appropriate for individuals
- Practical activities using different communication methods
- How a Total Communication approach could be used in a mainstream setting
- Information about different services and further training available related to Total Communication
This workshop will be delivered by Ami Nicholson, Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, and Joanne Kennedy, Associate Teacher. Ami works with a range of children and young people with complex communication and learning needs in both special school and mainstream settings. Joanne also works with a wide range of children and young people with learning and communication needs in Sunningdale School and in mainstream settings where she supports pupils as part of the Language and Learning Partnership.
This workshop costs £60. You will receive an invoice following confirmation of your place on the programme. Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment
friday, february 8, 2019 - friday, february 8, 2019
Shaftoe Road, Springwell, Sunderland, SR3 4HA
Reserve your Place to event
Make sure to RSVP to this amazing event!
Can not make it to this event?Change my RSVP
Comments are closed.