RSVPing is closed at this time.
Can not make it to this event?Change my RSVP
Total Communication is an approach which enables individuals with speech, language and communication needs to utilize a range of communication methods, in order to get their message across and understand
Total Communication is an approach which enables individuals with speech, language and communication needs to utilize a range of communication methods, in order to get their message across and understand the message of other people effectively. Total Communication makes use of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), such as signs, pictures, symbols and specialist devices.
This workshop is designed for individuals undertaking Initial Teacher Training, NQTs and mainstream teachers and support staff wishing to support the communication of pupils with speech, language and communication needs in mainstream settings.
Following the workshop, you will have knowledge of:
- What is Total Communication
- The basic principles and strategies of Total Communication
- The different types of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) used in a Total Communication approach
- Awareness of which communication methods may be most appropriate for individuals
- Practical activities using different communication methods
- How a Total Communication approach could be used in a mainstream setting
This workshop is delivered by Ami Nicholson , a Specialist Speech and Language Therapist who works with a wide range of children and young people with a learning disability and / or complex language and communication needs. She works within Sunningdale School and Portland College, as well as supporting children in mainstream nurseries and primary schools.
This course costs £60 – you will receive an invoice following confirmation of your place on the programme.
Places are limited on this course so please book early to avoid disappointment.
friday, march 6, 2020 - friday, march 6, 2020
Shaftoe Road, Springwell, Sunderland, SR3 4HA
Comments are closed.